List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KListView with drag and drop
From:       Stephan Olbrich <stephanolbrich () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-02-25 1:53:18

Hi,

I'm starting to write my first KDE-Program and trying to find out the way
how to do stuff in KDE.
The main widget in my program is a KListView which displays XML-Data. I
managed to activate drag and drop, so I can move items around.

What I now need to do is, making some restrictions. Some items make no sense
as top-level items. Others shouldn't be moved at all. Or I want a dialog to
ask the user, if a drop is ok. And other stuff like this.

Another thing is that I want to drag and drop between two applications.

Searching through the documentation and other code got me quite confused.
The contentDrag*Event functions seemed to be used quite often, although I'm
not shure if there is an easier way. (e.g. there is already this bar, which
shows where the items is going to be inserted, so maybe there is a function
which is called every time the bar jumps to another place so I can say there
weather the item can be inserted here or not?)

So if someone could explain, which functions are used what for and what I need
to reimplement, it would be really helpful.
dropped() seems to be emmited after insertion of the item, is there a way to
manipulate the drop ? (e.g. I want to insert the subitems of a whole tree,
instead of the tree)

For drag and drop between applications I somehow need to define my own
mime-type as far as I understood. Is there any tutorial or something how this
is done?

Thanks for your help!

Stephan