List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: A search service for KDE
From:       Manuel Amador <rudd-o () amautacorp ! com>
Date:       2005-02-23 23:10:40

El sáb, 19-02-2005 a las 02:02 +0100, Eike Welk escribió:
> I think this is great!
>
> I have two ideas for enhancements:
>
> For people at German universities OCR of some special .pdf would be
> usefull.
> When you order a paper through JASON-JADE you get a .pdf which
> contains one image for each page. These files need OCR to index their
> contents.

I suggest a standalone application for that purpose, really!  That is
out of the scope of at least the first series of releases.

> Recurse into .tar.gz and tar.bz2.
> In the olden Pentium 200 days I did compress everything which I didn't
> use regularly. Now my disc is bigger but the stuff is still
> compressed.

Digging into archives may or may not be supported (due to the time it
takes to dig into them, mainly).  I would suggest you store them into
compressed CDs or use the experimental compression patches.  I might
also suggest you use ReiserFS to pack small files (one of the storage
options in my project is based on ReiserFS, which gives excellent
performance and stellar packing of small files!).

> Keep up the (presumably) good work,

I will, thanks =)

> Eike.

Manuel Amador <rudd-o@amautacorp.com>