List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Big numbers
From:       John Tapsell <john () geola ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-02-23 17:53:22

Hey all,
  Some programs like kcalc badly need arbitary precision (big numbers).
The main problem isn't just that you want to multiple large numbers, but that
it frequently get simple calculations wrong, due to lack of precision in
floats.  (There's various nasty examples in bugs.kde.org)

  Is there any bignum library that i can rely on existing?  I know it's kinda
bad to have external dependancies, so if not could one be imported?
  I was thinking perhaps even import an existing library and make a nice KDE
wrapper for it, so we have an official kde bignum library.

  One nasty hack is to check if bc exists, and if so pipe commands to and from
it.  But I'd rather not do this for obvious reasons.

  Thoughts?

JohnFlux