List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: A search service for KDE
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2005-02-22 16:32:16

Dnia sobota, 19 lutego 2005 00:37, Manuel Amador napisał:
> Core functionality is pretty much done right now, after 8 days work. I'm
> currently writing a simple client application a la Beagle, which will
> support DCOP for other client applications to use and integrate.
>
> Basically what I wanted to ask is:
> - any pointers or ideas to keep in mind?

All archives including OO.o and KOffice files, mail.
Possibility to exclude directories (if it is not done now).
KIO_slave for data presentation.
Virtual folders keeping queries and updating them - both regurarly and
on demand.

> - would people here support integrating it into KDE?  How would that be
> accomplished best?  I'm thinking KFind should support it by default
> (there's nothing mysterious about the interface/API to the search
> server, it's just an XML-RPC server)

IMO Python-bindings requirement is big no-no for inclusion into core
KDE. Kdeextragear project or completely separate kde-apps entry is much
more probably.
Kdeextragear gives more freedom when advancing project - not tied with
KDE roadmap and other 'anchors'. It can be excellent playground for data
format file into future KDE (C++) tool.

m.

Vim Universal Templates
CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net