List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Using Wiki for KDE (User/Devel) Documentation
From:       Brad Hards <bradh () frogmouth ! net>
Date:       2005-02-21 8:46:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:11 pm, Jaros³aw Staniek wrote:
> Last week, on #kexi we (me, Cédric Pasteur, Martin Ellis) had a small
> discussion regarding a method of developing apps user documentation in a
> way so also non-technical people, (usually not DocBook-fans), could easier
> accept. I will refer to them as "Doc writers".
There is no requirement for documentation writers to use DocBook. The KDE
documentation team will take plain text.

From http://i18n.kde.org/doc/gettingstarted.php:
If you have no previous experience with DocBook, you should look at the
resources mentioned below, and at some existing documentation. You will
probably discover that DocBook is really not as hard as it looks. If you'd
like to ease into things, we can accept plain ASCII text documentation and
someone will mark it up for you. Please don't spend time marking things up in
other formats, as we will unfortunately have to strip it to plain text before
we can use it.

I don't think that the problem is DocBook, and I don't see how a Wiki is
really going to change the fundamental problem of people not volunteering to
write manuals.

Brad