List:       kde-devel
Subject:    How to pass a password to `mount`?
From:       "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-02-20 3:26:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

I have created an encrypted file (/dev/loop0), but kde will not pass or prompt
for a password before trying to mount the device.  So I am writing a quick
perl script to do this with KDialog's help.

The sticking point is I can't even figure out how to pass a password to mount
on the command line.  man mount says:

<snip>

-p passwdfd      If the mount requires a passphrase to be entered, read
                        from file descriptor passwdfd instead of from the
			terminal.
</snip>

This is a bit greek to me.  I've tried:

mount /dev/loop0 /home/mark/personal -p my_uber_secret_password

Naturally, that didn't work.  Can anyone help me get this figured out?
The loop device does mount/unmount just fine from the command line, by
manually giving the password at mount's prompt.

Thanks.
--
Mark A. Taff