List:       kde-devel
Subject:    A search service for KDE
From:       Manuel Amador <rudd-o () amautacorp ! com>
Date:       2005-02-18 23:37:03

Hello,

Can I interest you guys in a KDE-technology based desktop search engine?
I've built one from scratch, using Python, Zope and the KFile bindings
for Python, which I'm currently working on, and I'm very close to a
preview release (we're talking days here, and this is only because I
don't have an Internet connection at home).

Basically what it does is spin in an idle loop.  Well, it does more than
that =).  It crawls a directory and indexes plugin-rendered
representations of files into the ZODB (Zope Object Database), while
accepting search queries via an XML-RPC interface.  Searches are very
fast: searching for The Beatles in my collection of 13000 music files
takes 0.4 seconds, while searching for any number of words through my
information collection (HTML, PDF and text files) takes 0.6 seconds.
The indexing process automatically throttles processing if the system
load spikes, and continually tunes the throttling values.

And it's only 6000 lines of code.

Core functionality is pretty much done right now, after 8 days work. I'm
currently writing a simple client application a la Beagle, which will
support DCOP for other client applications to use and integrate.

Basically what I wanted to ask is:
- any pointers or ideas to keep in mind?
- would people here support integrating it into KDE?  How would that be
accomplished best?  I'm thinking KFind should support it by default
(there's nothing mysterious about the interface/API to the search
server, it's just an XML-RPC server)
- why the hell does the indexing process use 160 MB of RAM? (a tongue-
in-cheek tuning question, which really means "do the python bindings
leak memory?")

Well, let's check those followups.  I hope this stirs a good controversy
and leads into constructive discussion.
--
Manuel Amador <rudd-o@amautacorp.com>
Amauta