List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "Niceness" for network transfers
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-02-18 17:58:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Rainer Wirtz wrote:
>Thanks Eike, Thiago
>
>It seems like throtteling as Thiago described it is the way to go. I
>looked at the http and ftp slaves and it seems they use the
>libc-sockets as defined in sys/sockets.h. So I could go by with a
>custom job implemenation.

Sorry, I can't allow you do that in KDE applications. It's too late to
change for KDE 3.4, and kdelibs 3.5 should have the smallest set of new
features possible.

libc-sockets (low-level) is not an acceptable solution in KDE code, except
for the socket classes code itself. There are too many variants around.
All you need is implemented in the socket classes anyways, including
unbuffered sockets.

BTW, kioslaves use unbuffered sockets already. The solution is actually
quite simple: read only as fast as you want things to be sent. If the
algorithm to make the sender throttle down its transfer is more complex
than that, we'll revist this subject -- possibly with an ioctl to shrink
the kernel-side buffer.

>This would leave unsolved the problem of how to find out when there are
>other transfers that you (read: my application) wants to grant
>priority. Maybe wondershaper has find a good trick for that. Idealy
>this would work for non-kde applications as well. I'll have a look.

Huh? If the application doesn't know what it wants prioritised, who will?

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cweað "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.