List:       kde-devel
Subject:    "Niceness" for network transfers
From:       Rainer Wirtz <rainer.wirtz () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-02-17 19:06:08

Now that Felix has just removed the options from kget->preferences, I
would really like to know how this could be implemented.
There are hundreds of votes for this wish: have a niceness level for
transfers, so that while kget makes full use of available bandwidth,
there's no noticeable slowdown when surfing or news-reading.
Especially important for low bandwidth connections like modem or ISDN.

I know this has to work deep down on the kernel and TCP/IP level before
a KIO::JOB::setNiceness() can be implemented. And there's qt in
between.

My question to the geeks: Is there any provision for this functionality
in IPv4 and/or IPv6? And, if yes, what are the chances for this to
become available on kde-application level. And what could I do to help
accelerating this.

Thanks

Rainer