List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KIO::move should check for free space before moving
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2005-02-16 14:50:36

Hi there,

I have been using gnome for a short time, and I noticed if you try to
move a directory (across file-system) to a place where there is not
enough space, you get a "not enough space" error message, and the move
operation does not even begin.

OTOH, in kde, your file transfer will fail in the middle, leaving you
with two disjoint directories, each one in a different filesystem, which
you'll have to recompose by hand.

It seems to me this problem can be solved at a very low level, without
adding new logic to konqueror: KIO::move, KIO::trash etc should do such
a preliminar check and fail, with a dialog box, if there is not enough
space.

What do you think?

---
Maurizio Colucci