List:       kde-devel
Subject:    to Xinerama or not Xinerama -that- is the Question
From:       Andy <andy () vlaamse-kern ! com>
Date:       2005-02-14 22:20:13

Hi

I am on dual head but I don't like xinerama because it doesn't allow enough
customisation.  For instances it extends my background over my two monitors
which is NOT pretty looking!  Also there is the taskbar/sidebar issue and
when you switch virtual desktop it switches virtual desktops on the two heads
on the same time.

This is not to complain about xinerama but as a prologue to this:

I am running two instances of X+Kde (one for each head) and run into some
'bummers'.

First of all when I drag an icon on the desktop, I am able to drag it all the
way to the other screen.  This I Like!

When I try to do the same with a window it doesn't work!  Instead of going to
the other head, it comes out on the oposite side of the same display.

Applications that are running on one K-Desktop and define global shortcut keys
only work when that head is selected (like when my mouse is on that screen)

The window manager issue aside, I see in my DCOP browser that khotkeys has an
instance running for each screen (khotkeys and khotkeys-screen-1)  Would it
be possible to have khotkeys talk to itself on other screens to pass on what
shortcuts where pressed?

Kind regards

Andy

--
Registered Linux User Number 379093
Now listening to 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor - Dreams