List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: scons
From:       Alexander Neundorf <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-13 16:28:00

On Sunday 13 February 2005 00:23, kde-devel-request@mail.kde.org wrote:
> If you goto unsermake's website:
> http://www.kde.me.uk/index.php?page=unsermake you will see that there are
> no releases to download and the only way to get the source if from cvs, not
> just any cvs, but kde's.  The fact that there has never been a release
> (thus no rpm's, debs etc) turned everyone off.  Combined with no real docs
> online, mailinglist, examples, etc it seemed like more of a weekend hack to
> make KDE compile faster then a serious build tool.

Same here. No real website, no releases, no docs, no examples, nothing.
All I know about it is that it's a script written in python by coolo which
replaces the automake tool (but uses the same files). So I see no real
advantage. Maybe it's faster but I still won't understand it.

> I have been pointing
> people to scons as I understood that it provided the same feature that
> unsermake provided (parallel builds), but was much more of a real project
> with many users (example: doom3).

I'm not really opposed to scons.
When I was looking for a build tool (2 years ago or so) I also tried scons.
Somehow I didn't get far and didn't want to start learning python. So I
didn't find a simple tutorial how to do some things. So I left it again.
MakeNG looked like a horrible syntax. No way.
I found cmake, found the short introduction and the man page which cover
almost everything, and since then I'm a happy cmake user.
So if scons can be made to compile kde "simpler", I'm all for it (but I think
personally that cmake is even easier).

Bye
Alex
--