List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-02-10 23:38:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Jason Keirstead wrote:
>On Thursday 10 February 2005 5:04 pm, Bobby wrote:
>> Considering that KDE exists to provide "a powerful Free Software
>> graphical desktop environment for Linux and Unix workstations..." I
>> thing we should take advantage of the strengths of the "Linux and
>> Unix" enviroments. Removing assumptions were they do not provide a
>> specific advantage is almost always a good thing, but when they do
>> provide an advantage it makes no sense to reduce the functionality of
>> our enviroment.
>
>Isn't running KDE under DirectFB a 'UNIX and Linux environment'?

I'm talking about my code here because it's what I know best, but there
are certain assumptions about a Unix-like system that won't hold on
Windows. Most of them hold on other platforms, but not all.

The two things that I can remember now are filenames and sockets.

We use '/' as path separator in many places throughout KDE instead of
using QDir::separator(). We use characters that aren't valid in
Windows-based systems. We also expect /dev/null, /dev/zero, /dev/stdin
etc., to exist. I think Cygwin provides all that, but does a pure Visual
C++ environment do that too?

As for sockets, the little I know about winsock is that it's a mess. And
that it doesn't support AF_LOCAL (a.k.a., AF_UNIX) sockets, which we use
from ICE to KIO.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.