List:       kde-devel
Subject:    /dev/dsp /dev/mixer /dev/midi won't keep permissions
From:       Steven Pasternak <stevenp500 () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       2005-02-10 20:43:59

I use kde 3.4 beta2, with arts 1.3.92 and mandrake 10.0. I don't know if it is
arts or not, but every time I boot up, /dev/dsp, /dev/mixer, and /dev/midi
are set so that only root can even see them and arts gripes when I log in as
another user. If I manually fix the permissions and then log out and back in
arts and sound work. Is it possible to either have it fix them at boot time
or just keep the correct permissions? Kind of off-the-subject, but /dev/hdd,
hda, hdb, and hdc are the same way.