List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2005-02-07 15:03:19

On Monday 07 February 2005 15:43, Christoph Wiesen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Trolltech announced[1] today that starting with QT 4.0 the Windows version
> of the popular toolkit will be available under the GPL - just like the Un*x
> and OS X versions have been before.

Small correction: We will release Qt 4.0 / Windows under the GNU GPL _and_ a
commercial license. We are expanding our dual licensing business model to the
Windows platform, not changing it. I'm sure you know, Christoph, but I also
know that others don't. If you tell Jo Journalist that company C open sources
product P, Jo might write that C donates P to the community, which roughly
translates to giving it up as a commercial product. And that's exactly the
opposite of what we are doing!

If you guys want to do Trolltech and Qt a favor, then always mention the
commercial licensing option when you mention the GPL.

Matthias