List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Benjamin Meyer <ben () meyerhome ! net>
Date:       2005-02-09 6:24:31

> So what you get is authors for popular Linux magazines writing articles
> about why they switched to Mac... and what do they say?  "On Mac OSX I get
> to run all of my favorite F/OSS applications and all of my non-F/OSS
> applications. The best of both worlds."
>
> I agree with Aaron, and (like him) I hope I am wrong.  But I am afraid all
> we will have done is give Win32 users "The best of both worlds."

We are so off topic, but I just want to kill this myth.

When people say they get the best of both worlds they aren't talking about
xmms, gimp or kopete, they are talking about bash, perl, make, gcc, gdb (well
maybe not hehe), distcc, vim, ssh, cat, echo, proper permissions, cron, etc.
Did you know you can boot OS-X into a console mode?

I could use OS-X because of all those.  But if OS-X was well, OS-9 then I
wouldn't switch to it.  Same goes for windows.  Yes it may have kopete, but I
still will slit my throat after not being able to boot to a console and hell
just not being able to ssh into it.  And above all the *insane* permission
scheme where more then one users on a system is well stupid.  If I had every
single KDE application on windows today running at twice the speed I still
wouldn't go back to it.

Linux heads using OS-X is because they get the unix stuff which they spend the
vast majority of their time in and wifi that just works (or pick your apple
feature of the week).

Windows users will still have stability, security, and permission problems and
will still look at moving to Linux for all the zillions of cool things you
can do with it.

Now back on topic.....

KDElibs will be ported to win32.  How will we embrace it? (note I didn't say
support, I said embrace)

-Benjamin Meyer

--
aka icefox