List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2005-02-09 15:56:59

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:46 am, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> It will not happen in the short run. The main reasons are:

I think it is a bit hasty to say that 'it will not happen", especially when it
has already happened for the most part... the Win32 team already have kdelibs
and most of kdebase built on Win32 with Qt-Win32 commercial. The only barrier
is the GPL Win32 QT.

> 2) lack of manpower. While I am sure there will be people willing to work
> on this, will it be enough to keep track of the pace kdelibs evolves?

Seems to be so far...

> 3) KDE4/Qt4 schedules. With Qt4 being released, there is a lot of
> necessary adjustments to make KDE work, at all. And while this is the
> perfect opportunity to adapt to a new platform, I expect the complexity
> of doing to greatly impact on the Unix side.

It is also the perfect time to remove any "UNIX-isms" in the code. There are
other platforms that KDE apps should be supporting aside from Win32, like OSX
(ok - this is a UNIX, but it is it's own beast in many ways).

Cross-platform coding should always be a priority - any classes that depend on
Xlibs or other UNIX-isms being there should probably be abstracted out into
interfaces others can easily implement. I mean, even if you are running on
UNIX, who says you have X? What about DirectFB / Qt Framebuffer?

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.