List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Endless modprobe calls logged in KDE 3.4
From:       Kévin_Ottens <ervin () ipsquad ! net>
Date:       2005-02-04 16:29:57

Le Jeudi 3 Février 2005 19:13, Volker Krause a écrit :
> I just upgraded to 2.6.10, no crash so far.

Ah-ah!

> I tried this before upgrading the kernel, interestingly having at least one
> disk in the drives helps as well. The drive(s) just spin up shortly at the
> point were it crashed before.

Ah-ah! (again)

That's (almost) good news... It really looks like a weird interaction between
the kernel and the hardware. The problem now is how to manage this, I can't
force people to have 2.6.10 kernel. :-)

I see two possibilities:
1) Disabling this feature by default, allowing to activate it thanks for a
kconfig key somewhere...
2) Disabling it only if you have a kernel version <= 2.6.10 ...

I'm not sure which approach is the best, I dislike them both... Maybe somebody
has a better idea...

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."