List:       kde-devel
Subject:    "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -logg" in four CVS HEAD modules
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulrick2 () faith4miracle ! org>
Date:       2005-02-03 21:37:44

Hello, Everyone
I have been getting similar errors in the following four KDE modules from CVS
HEAD:
kdeextragear-1
kdegames
kdemultimedia
kdenetwork

The common part of all these errors (they all occur during "make") is as
follows:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -logg
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
I did some searching in the kde-devel mailing list, which led me to check the
output when I run configure on kdemultimedia.  I found this:

> You do not seem to have libOggFLAC installed.
> Without it aKode and aRts will not be
> able to play Ogg-files with embedded FLAC streams
> You need atleast libOggFLAC 1.1.1 or newer.
>

> You do not seem to have libvorbisfile installed.
> Without it aKode will not be able to play
> Ogg-files with embedded Vorbis streams
> You need atleast libvorbisfile 1.0 or newer.
>

> You do not seem to have MADlib installed.
> Without it aKode will not be able to play
> MPEG-audio this includes the common MP3 format

If you will notice, the lack of the above mentioned RPM's is supposed to cause
reduced functionality, not the inability to build.

Below is a list of potentially relevant RPM's that are installed on our
system:
flac.i386			1.1.1-6.rhfc3.at
flac-devel.i386		1.1.1-6.rhfc3.at
libFLAC++2.i386	1.1.0-4.1.rhfc3.at
libFLAC++4.i386	1.1.1-6.rhfc3.at
libFLAC4.i386		1.1.0-4.1.rhfc3.at
libFLAC6.i386		1.1.1-6.rhfc3.at
libOggFLAC++0.i386	1.1.1-6.rhfc3.at
libOggFLAC1.i386	1.1.1-6.rhfc3.at
libvorbis.i386		1:1.1.0-1
libvorbis-devel.i386	1:1.1.0-1
vorbis-tools.i386	1:1.0.1-4

I thought I might put the above information in here because of the following
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=109278959531018&w=2):

> There is a problem in the makefile for the vorbis plugin. It failed to >
build because "-logg" had been left off the final link line, and so the >
ogg_streamXXX functions weren't defined.
 << Hmm, when you run configure does it say it can't find vorbis?

I have not had this problem until as recently as a few days ago, so nothing
that I know of changed on my end.

I retried compiling the four KDE modules from CVS HEAD using fresh downloads.
The error messages above are from attempts at compiling a fresh download of
each module.  If I started deleting offending items from "subdirs" and resave
"subdirs" as "inst-apps", these modules would build just fine.  It's not that
I need the functionality of these programs, but someone might.

Anyway, that's all I have for now.

Have a Great Day,
Steven P. Ulrick