List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Accessing widgets of other applications
From:       LiuCougar <liucougar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-02-03 3:49:27

As Chinese user/developer, I am always thinking about something similar.

Under M$ window$, there exists a lot of dictionary applications which
can translate English strings anywhere on the screen to Chinese
(without parsing it to clipboard first). However, I can not find such
kind of apps under Linux/Unix.

If this is a feature built-in into kdelibs, I think it will make all
KDE apps friendly to such kind of application.

Regards,

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 04:38:52 +0100, Paul Temple <paul.temple@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Maybe even for different users?
> > I fear (hope) not, but you could take a screenshot of that
> > area and perform a nice ocr (try gocr or whatever it's named
> > today) scan ;) (i think this is what babylon on window$ does)
>
> Thanks... that would be the worst case (I had that "idea" too,
> but considered it a joke :)
> If that's the only possibility without extending the kde libs
> then I'll have to extend 'em...
>
> What I want is create a function similar to "what's this".
> Something like "translate this", which translates the text you
> click on (be it a menu item, a label, etc. - anything, which was
> retrieved via i18n(..)).
>
> One of kde's (many) advantages over windows is the ability to
> choose and change the gui language as one likes. This is a
> really nice thing for learning languages. If you use your
> computer everyday all day it's almost like living in another
> country where you're surrounded 24h/day by the language you want
> to learn.
>
> One thing I miss though - especially for languages not using an
> alphabet like Chinese and Japanese, where you can't even read
> many words you don't know or you know them but can't read them -
> is the ability to translate them with one click (or even less,
> like pressing a modifier key and doing a "mouse over").
>
> The nice thing is that kde already has proper, human made
> translations for everything! This is much better than any
> dictionary lookup...
>
> But I don't know if it's ok to "blow up" the kde core for that.
> On the other hand: We are already able to configure window
> manager buttons, so we can turn the "translate this" button (if
> it needs a button at all) off as a default. And if there are
> functions like "translucency": why not adding something
> useful... ;)
>
> My idea is that the "translate this" function pops up a hint-like
> window that shows translations of the clicked/hovered texts
> either
> - in all the kde languages configured for the current user or
> - in the next language in that hierarchy or
> - in custom defined languages
>
> Any suggestions?

- Old Chinese adage