List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Endless modprobe calls logged in KDE 3.4
From:       Kévin_Ottens <ervin () ipsquad ! net>
Date:       2005-01-31 17:19:14

Le Dimanche 30 Janvier 2005 00:44, David Faure a écrit :
> I suspect it's actually twice per second, and it's the polling done by the
> new "mediamanager" KDED module (it's new, this is why you're not seeing
> this in 3.3.x). I'm seeing problems with that modules too - even worse
> ones:

Right, it's the mediamanager that tries to poll the CD drive. But it doesn't
explains this kind of logging and crashing. ksymoops is accessed when
something dirty happens in the kernel...

> On startup kded loads all modules from newInstance(), and for some reason
> the LinuxCDPolling thread of the mediamanager module takes a VERY long time
> before the main thread can return from newInstance. I mean VERY. KDE
> startup is blocked for about 10 minutes here (on the laptop).

That's weird it's immediate here... Looks like a deadlock or something
similar?

> If I kill X
> with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and restart it, it then works for some reason. I
> suspect a deadlock somewhere? Not sure exactly what happens, but the whole
> of kded is definitely blocked (even the parent kded process which forked
> and calls newInstance()...) during all that time.

I'd be interested to know if you're the only one experiencing this kind of
deadlock.

> I think this polling thread is also why the "harddisk" led of the laptop
> lightens up twice per second - which btw is said to reduce the harddisk's
> life....

I doubt it... except if something is logged because of the polling, in this
case I'd say the setup of the underlying system should be incriminated.

> Kevin: do we really need this cd-polling thread? :/

I'd say yes, since it allows to autodetect the media type inserted in the CD
drive which is really a neat feature IMHO. I can of course disable it by
default adding a hidden (read no kcontrol counterpart) runtime option. But
honestly I'd prefer to find why it behave badly on some systems and fix it.
The problem being that I will have hard time to find what is behaving
incorrectly on your setup since it works here.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."