List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Unix or UNIX?
From:       Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-01-26 1:36:26

When the user clicks a test button in KTTS, it speaks the following test
message:

  KDE is a modern graphical desktop for Unix computers.

mhunter recently changed this to

  KDE is a modern graphical desktop for UNIX computers.

Why?  The KDE home page says

  KDE is a powerful Free Software graphical desktop environment for Linux and
Unix workstations.

The Trolltech website also uses "Unix".

I googled a bit and some people seem to think that using "Unix" is "illegal".

Which should I use to avoid getting sued?  IANAL

I am aware that UNIX is a registered trademark of the Open Group.  Here are a
couple of links that muddy things even more:

  http://www.unix.org/trademark.html
  http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/tmug.pdf

Maybe I should just change the test message to

  The Text-to-Speech system is working.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer