List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: persistent slow loading in Konqueror
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-01-25 14:24:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Jim Philips wrote:
>I am on KDE 3.4 Beta 1, but this problem has been dogging me the last
> several versions of KDE. Some popular Web sites are extremely slow to
> load in Konqueror when compared with Firefox. And this bothers me,
> because I would much prefer to use Konqueror. Some of the offending
> sites are:
>
>http://www.washingtonpost.com

Problem: washingtonpost loads one ad image from images2.laih.com. That
hostname is served by a buggy, invalid, broken DNS server.

$ time host images2.laih.com
images2.laih.com is an alias for p.mii.instacontent.net.
p.mii.instacontent.net has address 65.216.116.114

real    0m0.026s
user    0m0.004s
sys     0m0.003s
$ time host -t aaaa images2.laih.com

real    0m10.009s
user    0m0.003s
sys     0m0.004s

See the difference? They drop AAAA queries. It's invalid, broken and buggy
behaviour.

Mozilla people were considering adding those known domains to a killfile.
We were too, but we never got around to implementing it. I don't know if
they have.

We would simply discard any and every query to those known, broken domains
until they fixed their DNS servers. The plus side is you would not see
their ads in your pages.

Note: there are other big sites that would be included in that list.
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.