List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCE: Moved kdenonbeta/viki to kdereview
From:       Shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2005-01-20 4:51:57

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 21:07, Martin Koller wrote:
> My first impressions about viki:
>
> - generally: I like to have this app in KDE!

Thnkas for the detailed feedback. Comments embedded below...

> - the LED area cuts the text (it seems it depends on the font size.
>   I think you should set the fontsize depending on the available space)
>   it also does not show when I decrease the font in the setting dialog
>   see screenshot attached.

Yes. I simply did not get around to fixing that yet. I guess one gets used to
ones own bugs and eventually ignores them!

> - there is an unneeded large margin at all borders, especially top

This is a bit of a dilemma. I also consider this a bit ugly, but the
measurements come directly from the X description. I tried to think of some
heuristics, but don't have a solid idea at this time.

I did an experiment with QLayouts in the hope of something automagically
sized, but had trouble getting that to work...if nobody beats me to it, I'll
likely give that a try again sometime. The nice thing about layouts is that
they should, in theory, make curved keybpards such as Microsoft Natural
layouts do something sane (try selecting such a layout in kxkb for a good
laugh!).

What I need to do is to combine QGridLayout with the 2D equivalent of the
column size detection I did for the MSWord import filter :-), combined with
some basic trigonometry to "solve" the curved keyboard case.

> - the Settings menu contains "configure toolbars", but there is no toolbar.

OK. Eventually there will be.

> - the backgroundcolor of white is not the best choice

All the main colours come directly from X (keyboard, keys, leds etc.).

> - the menu at least should not have a white background color and must use
>   the color all other KDE apps use.

Hmm, I did not think the menu WAS white? AFAICS, its the default.

> - the "Return" key covers here the "+" key (which is to the right of the ΓΌ)
>   (see screenshot 2)

Yes. X has two descriptions of the geometry of each object: an overall
bounding box, and then a detailed path. I don't really know how to draw
non-rectangular pushbuttons Actually I do: David F explained about custom
painters and hit testing, but that all seemed a bit deeper than I wanted to
go. I was vaguely hoping that Qt might eventually give me a nice way to do
that...or maybe someone with better graphics skills than me?

> - the "Left" and "Right" cursor key icons (and all other arrow-key icons
>   on the num-pad) look very different from up/down icons

I'm no artist...all icons improvents welcome.

> - The icon on the ESC key is really strange. Isn't ESC a common and
>   widely known abbreviation ?

I was trying to avoid letters...I figured that graphics were both more
international and accessible than letters, but I'm open to evidence based
input (especially from the accessibility side). Note that the tooltips have
the text name.

> - Also the Left Alt key shows here a half filled black/white circle ...
>   strange. Simply name it "ALT"

Ditto. My attempt at a meaningful icon. Again, patches welcome!

> - when I resize the window, the keyboard is simply cut.
>   I'm not sure what is the best solution. Either show scrollbars or zoom
>   the content to show smaller keys.

Yes, this reflects uncertainty on my part. Sometimes, it might be desirable to
cut (e.g. someone wants to ignore the numeric keypad) to save screen real
estate. Again, its hard to know what might be "right", and again, evidence
based input from the accessibility side might provide a good hint.

> - to deactivate the SHIFT state (without having clicked on any other key),
>   I have to click _twice_ on the Shift button

Hmm. i will take a look.

Thanks, Shaheed