List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: keyboard dead in KDE 3.4 beta 1
From:       Gunnar Schmi Dt <gunnar () schmi-dt ! de>
Date:       2005-01-17 16:26:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hello,

On Monday 17 January 2005 17:01, Luke-Jr wrote:
> On Monday 17 January 2005 3:57 pm, Jim Philips wrote:
> > I had been cruising along just fine with KDE 3.4 beta until last
> > night. Then the keyboard stopped responding. If I log into KDE as
> > another user, it works fine. If I start Kmail or another KDE app under
> > Gnome, the keyboard works fine also. It only fails to respond when I
> > log on to KDE as my normal user. Any ideas where to look for this?
> >[...]
>
> This has been happening to me for a while (HEAD)... I can usually fix it
> by turning some kb accessibility stuff on and off. (applying each time)
> [...]

This problem is known and it is already fixed in HEAD. Basically your
problem came from the fact that the default value for one of the new
features in KDE 3.4 was wrong.

The new feature are the gestures for activating the AccessX features. They
have been enabled by default, and you accidently used one of the gestures
for turning the slow-keys feature on. (That means that you have to press
each key a certain time before it is accepted).

In order to get back to normal please do the following:
1. Start the KDE Control Center and go to the module
"Regional&Accessibility -> Accessibility"
2. In that module choose the tab "Keyboard"
3. Uncheck "Use gestures for activating the above features"

Once the module is open inspect the other settings on the tab as the
activation gestures may have changed them. You might also check the
setting for the mouse emulation with your keyboard (Peripherals->Mouse,
tab Mouse Navigation), as there is also a gesture for that setting.

Maybe you need to restart KDE in order to really disable the gestures (due
to another bug which was fixed about a week ago).

Gunnar Schmi Dt
--
Co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project
Maintainer of the kdeaccessibility package