List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Should I install a .desktop file ?
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-01-09 23:23:07

On Sunday 09 January 2005 16:36, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> Yes, for example in kdemultimedia libkcddb.desktop uses this to not show up in
> kcontrol.  Along the same lines is NoDisplay=true the correct way to have
> things not show up in kcontrol?  For example in KDE4 when we remove konq's
> settings from kcontrol will it just be adding NoDisplay=true to those desktop
> files?
Yes I think so, since they will still need to be available as kcmodules.

To clarify:

Hidden=true means "completely deleted", like when the user deletes a K menu entry in kmenuedit,
then a Hidden=true .desktop file is created in his ~/.kde to "hide" the global file. This is why it's
called Hidden, but if this was stilll 1998, I would rename it Deleted.

NoDisplay=true means "it exists, but it doesn't appear". In particular it exists in ksycoca,
so code can run that .desktop file if it knows its name.