List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Superlous configuration?
From:       Michael Pyne <pynm0001 () unf ! edu>
Date:       2005-01-06 4:21:35

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 11:16 pm, Damien Uern wrote:

> > now, obviously hiding something so dear to so many in a text file isn't
> > the way to go, otherwise why are we creating a GUI? certainly not to
> > force people to use the command line and text editors. Ah! but we have
> > KConfigEditor! which.... isn't installed with KDE, and which is sort of a
>
> I'm assuming KConfigEditor is kind of like GConf? I know GConf gets a bad
> rap because people like to compare it to the Windows Registry, but it isn't
> like that. I think these "Set and Forget" one time options should be
> available only in such a configuration program, rather than cluttering up
> option dialogs. That way, a number of tweaks can grow so that most people
> can be satisfied with what the program provides and how it behaves.

Well I don't really like the idea of making advanced users a third-class
citizen of KDE.  But this *is* an option that is likely to be set only once
in a blue moon.

Perhaps what we need is a TweakUI for KDE.  Or if we wanted to be jazzy about
it, a TweakUI kioslave with a web interface accessible from Konqueror ;).
The problem with that is that it's essentially like having two KControl
programs, one for the "normal" options, and another for the
"unusual/advanced" options, which just seems weird to me.

Allow me to reiterate though, I find it distressing that so many people are
willing to make my life as an "advanced" user harder in order to pursue a
vision for the GUI.  If I wanted to *have to* use gvim just to be able to
setup my desktop, I'd be running fluxbox instead. :P

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne