List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Superlous configuration?
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2005-01-05 20:24:40

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 21:11, Tim Wunder wrote:

> > Again : do you realize that the vast majority of users aren't able to
> > decide which option they want, let alone understand the difference
> > between them ?
>
> Not in my experience.

Come explain my mom the difference. I'd love to see that. :-)

> Millions of people have executed viruses and worms on Windows, have
> installed gobs of spyware and other malware on their PCs and have
> reinstalled Windows completely (or had someone do it for them) as a result.
> Does that mean that is acceptable behavior?

*sigh*.

> What about the 90% of existing KDE users who expect to be able to choose
> between deleting, and moving to trash? Are their expectations unimportant?

Where did you pick that 90% of KDE users really do expect that ? And, no, it's
not an important expectation, it's something you can totally live without.
Just drop to a shell and use 'rm' if you have to.

> The
> ability to choose between deleting and moving to trash, via the GUI, is a
> FEATURE of KDE. It's one of the things that distinguishes it from other
> environments. Don't diminish that.

No, it's something you think is important because you use it (I also do, I
almost never use the trashcan), but which you could do without if you had to.
I've been down this road before, lots of times.

--
      Guillaume.
      http://www.telegraph-road.org