List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Superlous configuration?
From:       Rainer Endres <endres () physos ! org>
Date:       2005-01-05 13:08:03

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 13:04, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> I am wondering, why in KDE 3.4, we need this Konqueror option "Show
> 'Delete' menu entries which bypass the trashcan".
>
> Consider...
>
> - Deleting directly by bypassing the trash can is not something you want
> novice users to do

Agree, thats why this should be off by default

> - Advanced users (the kind who change defaults) can easily learn keyboard
> shortcuts like Shift+Delete - that is if they don't know them already (this
> has been the shortcut in KDE for this for many moons I think)

Novices become Advanced users over time. Without any trace of the possibility
of this, they will never use it.

> - What advanced user even uses right click to delete anyways

I do. I am using KDE for over 5 years as my main desktop and I use this on a
daily basis. I really wonder why I should use the keyboard in a GUI
filemanager when there is a mouse way to do it. I hate to get my hands from
mouse to keyboard all the time.

> So why even have the option to put it in that menu? No one is going to know
> it is there, and even if those who do would likely not use it since they
> will be using the keyboard.

This is only your opinion. I don't want to use the keyboard here.

Removing a option just because _you_ do not need it and because _you_ know how
to do this without RMB, does not make one jota of sense.

Please consider there may be "advanced" users with a different usage pattern
out there who would really get angry if the Delete menu entry is removed just
because you do not need it. I was already annoyed when I had to activate it
by hand and I was not the only one on #kde-devel who wondered where Delete is
gone.

	Rainer