List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE printmanager module only useable if started with Full Root Path
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulrick2 () faith4miracle ! org>
Date:       2004-12-22 12:52:13

Hello, Everyone
When attempting to access the KDE print manager, located at the following
location: "kcontrol | Peripherals | Printers"  I get the error message that
is contained on two screen shots that are located at the following location:
http://12.203.241.24/kcontrol-ScreenShots/1-kcontrol-Peripherals-Printers-LeftSide-CVSHEAD.jpg
http://12.203.241.24/kcontrol-ScreenShots/2-kcontrol-Peripherals-Printers-RightSide-CVSHEAD.jpg

The window that the error message appears in is too wide for my monitor
(1152x864) and it is unresizeable, hence two screenshots.

I have been using Linux since Red Hat 7, and according to my brother, I am
pretty decent at it.  But, the actual error message contained in the
screenshots is incomprehensible to me, so I thought I had better ask for
help.

KDE: from CVS HEAD
Operating System: Fedora Core 3, full, "Everything", installation.
Update status: all official updates installed.
QT: qt-3.3.3-8
GCC: gcc4-4.0.0-0.8

Unfortunately, I have no idea when this problem started.
Also, if I try "kcontrol | Peripherals | Printers" in the /usr path (FC3
default) it works fine (IF I am "su -" as root):
http://12.203.241.24/kcontrol-ScreenShots/3-kcontrol-Peripherals-Printers-DefaultFC3.jpg

Also, if I click on the "Administrator Mode" button and enter the root
password when prompted, I get the same error window shown in the screenshots
referred to above.  The only difference is I get a little red border around
the error message.

Also, if I "su -" (just doing "su" will not work) into root, and run
"/usr/local/kde-cvs/bin/kcontrol", the print manager module opens and
functions as desired.  I guess the question is, How come I have to "su -"
into root to use KControl's print manager?  I do understand that to make most
changes I need to be root, I can't even get adminstrator mode rights by
entering the root password in the window titled: "Run as root - KDE su"  I
must "su -" into root and access this module that way.  Then, either the FC3
default KDE version or the CVS HEAD KDE version works just fine.  The "Run as
root - KDE su" works properly in every other module that has an
"Administrator Mode" button (the ones I tried, anyway)

If you need any clarification, I will be glad to oblige.

Steven P. Ulrick