List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DNS based service discovery
From:       Simone Gotti <motaboy () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-12-12 13:18:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 30 October 2004 12:51, Jakub Stachowski wrote:
> As you can see, now I am for using libhowl and mDNSResponder as mDNS
> low-level API for KResolver (exactly as libresolv is used for uDNS).
> Publishing part should be kept in kdnssd.
> Single disadvantage is that it adds external dependency (probably optional
> if someone doesn't care about mDNS) instead of internal.

> [SNIP]
> Well, I searched for some time and found only two working solutions: howl
> and Apple's rendezvous SDK that cannot be used because of license.
> [SNIP]

Sorry for the stupid question but I'm going to do the new ebuilds for
kde-3.4_alpha/beta/rc and I noticed from the configure script and the INSTALL
file under kdelibs/dnssd that is needed mDNSResponder from apple.

So can you riassume me what is needed to build the dnssd support in kdelibs?

1)Are needed both libhowl and mDNSResponder from apple?
2) In the dnssd/INSTALL file you provide a link
http://helios.et.put.poznan.pl/~jstachow/pub/mDNSResponder-85.tar.bz2

but is this right? I was thinking that to get something from apple is needed
to register and agree to the APSL license as is explained
here:http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/rendezvous/

If this is right probably every gentoo user has to register to apple to get
that library and enable the compilation of dnssd?

I don't know anything about dnssd but I want that the gentoo' users can use
this feature. So can someone be so gentle to explain me exactly what I'm
missing?

Thanks in advance!

Bye!
--