List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Troubles with freedesktop compliance
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-11-30 23:55:25

Hello,

In my file-manager, I am trying to get freedesktop compliance, i.e.
trying to launch programs by using the exec string provided in .desktop
entries. For this purpose, I am calling KService::allServices and
reading the exec() field of each service.

The problem is: I found that .desktop files in suse 9.2 have some
strange exec fields that don't seem freedekstop compliant, like

ark -caption "%c" %i %m %U

kuiviewer %i %m -caption "%c"

How should I deal with them?

According to the freedesktop spec (which is no more available online
BTW), I seem to recall %c should be expanded to the "comment", %i to the
icon name, and %m to the mini-icon name. But it's clear this would not
work. For ark, that would produce

     ark -caption "" ark ark file.gz

, which is plain wrong.

 From the context, it seems that Suse means %i to be replaced with
"-icon", %c with the program name (or description?), and %m with the
icon name.

Another strange thing is that the K-menu seems to ignore the exec
string, otherwise it would have my same problem.

Could someone please tell me if it's a suse problem or I am
misinterpreting the freedesktop spec?

And, by the way, could someone tell me where to find the freedesktop
spec? The freedesktop site seems to be broken.

Thank you very much,
Maurizio