List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DNS-SD discovery for krdc
From:       Jakub Stachowski <stachowski () hypair ! net>
Date:       2004-11-28 21:59:51

Dnia niedziela, 28 listopada 2004 20:48, Brad Hards napisał:

> I haven't reviewed it, but one thing that I've always been mindful of is
> that SLP is inherently a better protocol for larger installations (because
> you can do server-side searching). Ideally this library could be made
> flexible enought that we can use it for announcing services (and finding
> them!) using a range of protocols.

Biggest problem I see are service types. service:printer:ipp should be equal
to _ipp._tcp . Scopes can be mapped to domains, text attributes are similar
enough.

> > Comments, opinions, suggestions?
>
> The "low hanging fruit" for DNS-SD is finding a printer - lots of people
> have them, and they are now being shipped with "rendezvous"(TM) support.
> Any chance you can do the KDE print integration?

Well, there is always chance. After quick look at kdeprint code I imagine kded
module running query for _ipp._tcp and _printer._tcp , adding and removing
printers as necessary. There is one problem though: add/remove operation
requires root privileges. Is dialog box asking for root password acceptable
everytime when someone (un)plugs printer or network cable?
Second problem: I have no way to do any testing: I have no networked printer
nor computer running MacOSX (I also don't know anybody having one of these).