List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Threading issue? (valgrind --tool=helgrind)
From:       Roger Larsson <roger.larsson () norran ! net>
Date:       2004-11-25 23:56:25

On Thursday 25 November 2004 16.28, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 25 November 2004 16:13, Oliver Stieber wrote:
> > I've add a new function to move items to the front of
> > the preview queue, that gets called from kiconview
> > whenever the user places the mouse over an icon, or
> > when the user scrolls/resizes the view. (see below)
> > any Ideas what I'm doing wrong, should I change it to
> > a slot? or are there thread safety isses with the
> > ThumbNails creators calling back?
>
> ??? We don't use threads in KDE (except for a few very isolated places).
> There are certainly no threads involved with konqueror's iconviews
> (or anything else touching Qt's GUI).
>
> So, you get a crash you don't understand? The usual tip: valgrind
> --tool=memcheck :)

Or since you are using threads
	--tool=helgrind

"Helgrind is a thread debugger which finds data races in multithreaded
programs. It looks for memory locations which are accessed by more than one
(POSIX p-)thread, but for which no consistently used (pthread_mutex_)lock can
be found. Such locations are indicative of missing synchronisation between
threads, and could cause hard-to-find timing-dependent problems. It is useful
for any program that uses pthreads. It is a somewhat experimental tool, so
your feedback is especially welcome here."
	http://valgrind.kde.org/tools.html