List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdewallet, kmail password issues
From:       Volker Krause <volker.krause () rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2004-11-25 10:37:25

On Thursday 25 November 2004 08:18, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> for some reasons kwallet does not find my wallet - but that's not the
> problem here.
> kmail started without asking me for a password, it used the one which is
> stored somewhere in kmails config files.
> this was a little surprise, because I assumed (wrongly) that using
> kdewallet will not require passwords stored in other places any more.
> I didn't realise that I (the user) have to delete the passwords manually.

That would be clearly a bug, the KConfig -> KWallet migration code should
remove the password entry from the config file (and did it during my tests).
However, IIRC KMail falls back to the config file if you want to save the
password but don't want to use the wallet. Maybe this is triggered here.

Anyway, there seems to be some problems with the current wallet usage in KMail
in case the wallet is disabled or not available (#92932, #93789
(interestingly just the opposite of the above problem)), I'll take a look at
this as soon as I have time.

regards
Volker