List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: bug in moving/overwriting a FOLDER
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-11-19 14:38:47

On Friday 19 November 2004 15:32, John Tapsell wrote:
> A couple of use-cases that I've done in the last couple of days:
>
> I had /home backed up over multiple CD's.  So all of them had a /home, and
> some have the same /home/username  where that directory is too big for a CD
> When I restore I need to merge all of these together.

Sure but there are no conflicting files, so the current "overwrite" option would do fine.

> Another use case that I did last night - I had a zip file patch for game, so I
> unzipped the file and ended up with around 4 files in different directories.
> What I wanted was to merge the directory and 4 files into the main program
> directory.  (Does this make sense? I'm not explaining very well I think)

Same there, right? This is "merge without conflicting files, so overwrite works too,
except that the name is a bit confusing" (but imho presenting two options to the user
would be far more confusing, especially if other filemanagers call it overwrite).

> Another one I did a few nights ago - I did:  wget http://somesite/dir1/dir2
> and burnt to a CD, took home, and copied to my machine.
> The next night I did:  wget http://somesite/dir1/dir2different    and burnt
> that a took it home, and then needed to merge them.

Same there - different subdirs, so no conflicting files, "overwrite" works.