List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: bug in moving/overwriting a FOLDER
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-11-19 13:39:31

On Friday 19 November 2004 14:23, John Tapsell wrote:
> Could we have the option "Merge", then if it is going to overwrite any files,
> it asks again? (overwrite, overwrite all, skip, skip all , rename)

That sounds like a solution to fix the "confusion", BUT: is there really a use case for
"merging without overwriting"? Does this answer an actual need?

I mean if you have an old version of a source tree somewhere (or a collection of office documents),
and a newer version somewhere else, you want to override all old files with the new ones.

If you started copying a directory, then aborted, then want to redo it again, picking where you left off,
then (apart from the problem with the one file where the copy aborted, which might not be complete)
you do want "overwrite all" again.

Any real world use case?