List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: bug in moving/overwriting a FOLDER
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-11-17 9:54:52

Christoph Wiesen wrote:
> Am Tuesday, 16. November 2004 16:56 schrieb James Richard Tyrer:
>
>>You can overwrite existing folders when you *copy*.  The problem exists
>>only when you try to move a folder, or rename a folder, and that would
>>cause an overwrite.
>>I can't remember every doing this (successfully) with KDE, only trying it
>>and having the wrong result (as above).
>

> I specifically tested it with a move operation (in Konqueror) as described
> above. It works and has always worked for me with KDE 3.x. I am
> 'overwriting' (not exactly the right term since the content that has been in
> there before remains there) a folder "fonts" that includes a file "test0"
> with a folder "fonts" that includes the files "test1" and "test2". The result
> is a folder "fonts" that has the files "test0", "test1" and "test2" in it.
>
> I get a rather simple dialog with "rename" and "overwrite" as options. When I
> do a copy with the same terms I get a more verbose window - but that's not
> the problem discussed.

Yes, and that appears to be the wrong dialog box since it offers the options:

	Skip
	Auto Skip
	Overwrite All

that are not needed.

> Still it works. not creating a subfolder or something.

Must be wrong about this.

However, I find that an overwrite resulting from renaming a folder is still
allowed and still doesn't work.

I will revert my CVS of KDE_3_3_BRANCH to 3.3.1 and see if it is different.

To clearly state the problem.

When *moving* a directory, or directories that will result in an overwrite, the
dialog box does not contain the meta data.

With one directory the dialog box is missing:

	Overwrite

With multiple directories the dialog box is missing:

	Overwrite
	Overwrite All

When *copying* a directory that will result in an overwrite the dialog box has
these extra buttons:

	Skip
	Auto Skip
	Overwrite All

When *copying* multiple directories the dialog box is 100% correct.

This is with the current 3.3 BRANCH.

I will revert kdelibs/kio/kio and see what this changes.

--
JRT