List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: bug in moving/overwriting a FOLDER
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-11-16 15:56:13

Christoph Wiesen wrote:

> Even though there are cases where 'doing something on the command line' is a
> good way to see what's possible and what not I doubt that this is the case
> here. My understanding of Konqueror internals is not all that I'd like it to
> be but I don't think it uses the cp and mv commands directly. Thus it's not a
> definite sign that if mv can't do something Konqueror shouldn't.. maybe I'm
> wrong and it is, but I'm sure someone will tell me ;)

You know what happens if you:

	mv TestDir <some path>/TestDir

You wind up with:

	<some path>TestDir/TestDir

and nothing is overwritten.

KDE used to allow you to (try to) do a move that you thought would overwrite but
it did the same thing that the command line operation did.  IMHO, that *was* a bug.

> So, maybe I misunderstood the original topic starter, but I think he wanted to
> move a folder to another location where a folder with the exact same name
> already exists.

Yes, that is correct -- that is what he wants to be able to do.  It is possible
that code could be written to make Konqueror KFM do this despite the fact that
the 'mv' command is not able to do it.  However, until that is done, it is an
improvement that it doesn't offer to do what can *not* be done -- what will be
done wrong.

> Well, this IS (as in definitely / just-tried-it / really-sure) possible in my
> KDE version (3.3.1 Debian Unstable Builds). I know (and tested again) that mv
> can't do this on the command line (maybe it will with a forcing parameter,
> not tested) - but for me Konqueror can and will offer me the choice to
> overwrite the existing folder.

See my example above.  Be sure that there was actually an overwrite resulting
from a move (not from a copy) -- that it didn't do that same thing as the
command line action does.

> Maybe I really got something wrong here, but if that is what was asked I do
> this many times - especially because of the way Konqueror starts
> moving/copying files in that it creates all the sub folders first and starts
> moving then. So if a move- or copy-operation stops for whatever reason before
> it's finished I have to overwrite existing folders with Konqueror.

You can overwrite existing folders when you *copy*.  The problem exists only
when you try to move a folder, or rename a folder, and that would cause an
overwrite.
I can't remember every doing this (successfully) with KDE, only trying it and
having the wrong result (as above).

--
JRT