List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KSniffer
From:       Giovanni Venturi <maildigianni () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-11-08 18:40:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Alle 14:16, sabato 6 novembre 2004, Hamish Rodda ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 11:59 pm, Giovanni Venturi wrote:
> > Alle 02:59, sabato 6 novembre 2004, Hamish Rodda ha scritto:
> > > Have you considered looking at Ethereal to see if it might be easier
> > > for you to integrate it into your program, rather than duplicating much
> > > of the ability that ethereal already has?
> >
> > What do you mean? I have to write a KDE front end to ethereal? A fontedn
> > using tcpdump for example? If so. Why? Everyone can use Ethereal.
>
> I must misunderstand you then, I thought KSniffer was to be a KDE
> replacement for/clone of Ethereal.

You don't misunderstand me, but I'm not so inside KDE developing to understand
all the benefits and the advantages I can get in this way. I haven't so much
time to divide KSniffer in 2 parts: a text sniffer and a GUI for the text
sniffer. For me it's simplest have just one piece that sniffs and displays
the sniffed packets. I'm trying to write KSniffer because the only GUI
sniffer I know it's written with GTK and no with Qt/kdelibs. The problem is
to understand sometime of libpcap programming. Ethereal is the only and the
best GUI sniffer program I know and I can't pretend to do better, but just to
trying to write something like that for KDE and made it availbale to KDE
community. If no one is going to use it I don't care. I'm trying to do my
best because it's my little dream, my personal challenge to write the code
for this kind of program. I like network programming.
Gianni