List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KSniffer
From:       Hamish Rodda <rodda () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-11-06 1:59:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:21 am, Giovanni Venturi wrote:
> Hello everyone, I committed my application into kdenonbeta about 2-3 weeks
> ago: KSniffer. It's something that needs to sniff you own LAN. A day could
> be as Ethereal (a very very distant day). If you want send patch or give
> suggest you are welcome. There is a lot o work to do.
> I've got a big bug that I cannot resolve. I use QThread and a while with a
> boolean value to quit from the Thread when the user stops the sniffing, but
> the problem is that pcap_next() that captures network packets: it is
> blocking. I was trying in all the way to stop pcap_next() but no result.
> If I force QThead to stop next time I start a new sniffing the application
> does not work anymore and I have to kill -9 it.
> Does someone use libpcap? Can give me suggests? The sniffing code is into
> sniffer.*

I have a suggestion, but please don't take it the wrong way, I think it's
great that someone is working on this kind of thing for KDE.

The Ethereal code base now has a nice separation between GUI and backend code,
which would enable relatively simple creation of a KDE frontend for it.  I
did start on such an effort a while back, but I have other priorities for my
time at the moment.  I was planning to make it a kdevelop plugin, so you
could analyse the network output of your program as you ran it.

Have you considered looking at Ethereal to see if it might be easier for you
to integrate it into your program, rather than duplicating much of the
ability that ethereal already has?

Cheers,
Hamish.