List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How many processes?
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-11-01 9:14:05

On Saturday 30 of October 2004 00:35, Luke Sandell wrote:
> So if the single-instance model is so superior, why do so few KDE
> applications utilize it? Eg., I checked kwrite and kedit and they both
> spawn new instances when invoked a second time.

 The single-instance model is not so superior. In theory it shouldn't matter
(in theory, indeed :) ). In practice there are both technical advantages,
like faster "startup" and smaller memory usage, and technical disadvantages,
like the mentioned crashes, or the different "instances" of the applications
affecting each other - modal dialog blocks all windows, one Konqueror window
rendering complicated HTML page slows down the others, and so on. There's no
silver bullet unfortunately.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer