List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE tests report (now all of KDE)
From:       Daniel Roe <daniel.roe () balliol-oxford ! com>
Date:       2004-11-01 8:53:40

On Monday 01 November 2004 05:24, Gary L. Greene Jr. wrote:
> On Sunday 31 October 2004 02:30 pm, Marcos Dione wrote:
> > # get-edid | parse-edid
>
> these commands do not exist under X.org or XFree86 from what I see. Nor are
> they standard on most Linuxs. The information that X.org returns is
> *probed* not preconfigured, since modelines are now ignored by the server.

Xorg includes the functionality for the programs on some video cards. But not
all, sadly. If you want to test the programs for yourself, check out this
website:

 http://john.fremlin.de/programs/linux/read-edid/

Obviously these packages are not standard. But debian offers dpkgs and there
are rpms available. Gentoo also provides ebuilds.

Admittedly adding a dependency for read-edid would be going too far.

regards,
Daniel