List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Problem scanning with Kooka/Epson Perfection 2400
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulrick2 () faith4miracle ! org>
Date:       2004-10-30 6:09:32

Hello, Everyone
I am having a problem scanning with our Epson Perfection 2400 scanner.  I will
try to leave out the sordid path that I had to go down to end up trying this
experiment, but I will try to explain what I did to narrow this down as far
as I have.

The problem started when I discovered that when I attempted to scan using
Kooka (it did not matter whether I was root or not.  At That Time it did not
matter whether I used the default version that ships with Fedora Core 2, or
whether I used the version from CVS HEAD.  The scanner was correctly
recognized when I started Kooka, everything looked normal when the GUI was
completely loaded.  When I clicked on "Preview Scan," everything Appeared to
proceed as normal.  But alas, no preview.  When I tried a "Final Scan," same
thing, all appeared normal, but I didn't get any image to save.

OK.  Here is where my brilliant QA skills come into play :)  (Ask the
developer of KRename, Dominik.  :))  I created a completely new user account,
that uses the default FC2 KDE.  Scanning works perfectly using
"/usr/bin/kooka"  I even have a really big scan of the cover of Joey Ramone's
"Don't Worry About Me" album to prove it :)  Still with the default FC2 path
(/usr)  I ran /usr/local/kde-cvs/bin/kooka.  No Joy.  Scanning will not work.

Next, I created another brand new user account, but this time I set $KDEDIR to
the following: "/usr/local/kde-cvs"  I also set $QTDIR the the correct path
to get the version of QT that I run with KDE from CVS HEAD.   First, I tried
running "/usr/bin/kooka/"  No Luck.  Scanning appears to proceed as normal,
but it just seems to fail silently, in the sense that the expected image from
the apparently successful scan attempt is nowhere to be found.

To sum up all of the above, with a completely fresh user account, using Fedora
Core 2's default $KDEDIR and $QTDIR path's, I can scan using "/usr/bin/kooka"
but not with  "/usr/local/kde-cvs"  With another completely fresh user
account, but this time with $KDEDIR and $QTDIR set to what I will call my
"CVS path",  neither of the above mentioned versions of Kooka can
successfully scan anything.
Here are the lines that I have in my ~/.bash_profile that sets my $KDEDIR and
$QTDIR path's:
QTDIR=/usr/local/qt-src
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde-cvs
PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export KDEDIR PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH LIBRARY_PATH

So I can scan using the FC2 version of Kooka, as long as my KDE and QT path's
are not set by the above quoted commands.  The above has been in
my .bash_profile since I started running KDE from CVS HEAD, with no problems.
The above export commands have been in that same .bash_profile ever since we
got the scanner that we have now, with no problems.

Below, I have added almost the entire text from an email that I sent to the
kde-user list on this subject.  Since I began to suspect that this might be a
kde-devel type problem and not a kde-user problem, I have included it because
it goes into a lot more detail than I felt the need to repeat so far :)

As always, any question you may have for me, please ask.  I can't write code,
but I still want to do what I can.

(This is most of the text of an email that I sent to kde-users about two or
three days ago.)

This problem only occurs when I use Kooka (doesn't matter whether it's the
version that ships with Fedora Core 2, or the one on CVS HEAD.)  I tried
scanning an image earlier using xsane, and it worked just fine.
Here is a link to an image that I Just scanned (using "xsane", to show that
the scanner works just fine:
http://www.faith4miracle.org/kooka/JoeyRamone.jpg

When I start any version of Kooka (for this experiment, I will start Kooka
while su'd into root.  This is what the GUI looks like:
http://www.faith4miracle.org/kooka/kooka-1.jpg

Then I proceed to do a "Preview Scan"  This is what the GUI looks like then:
http://www.faith4miracle.org/kooka/kooka-2.jpg

If I try to do a "Final Scan", this is what the GUI looks like:
http://www.faith4miracle.org/kooka/kooka-3.jpg

You will notice that these are identical screen shots.  This is because
whether I choose "Preview Scan" or "Final Scan", nothing appears to be
scanned.

The only configuration file I could find was in "~/.kde/share/config"  I tried
deleting that and retrying what I described above, to no avail.

At the following location, you will find a tarball of the terminal window
outputs that I got when I tried a Preview and a Final scan.  In the same
tarball, you will find straces of attempts at Preview and Final scans.
http://www.faith4miracle.org/kooka/kooka-logs.tar.bz2

Root is the group and user of /proc/bus/usb/001/013
Also, root does have read, write and execute permissions on this device.
One thing I just thought of: I can't remember for sure, but should I have
a /dev/scanner?  I can't remember if I had one in the past, or if that is
relevant with a USB scanner.  All I know is that I don't have one now.

Operating System: Fedora Core 2, All Packages installed, All official Updates
installed (Except the kernel)
QT: 3.3.3 from TrollTech source tarball
KDE: CVS HEAD

QT and KDE paths are both exported in my ~/.bash_profile.  I did not overwrite
the FC2 default KDE.

In closing, this same scanner, using Kooka from the CVS HEAD version of KDE,
used to work perfectly, never giving me a moment of trouble.  Like I stated
earlier, and proved with an example for your viewing, this same scanner that
does not work with kooka, does work just fine with xsane.

I will be glad to answer any questions that this problem might require.

Have a Great Day
Steven P. Ulrick
--
 14:19:16 up 15 days, 23:49, 35 users,  load average: 1.31, 0.69, 0.26