List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Linux/BSD distribution
From:       Dennie Bastiaan <morphie () unravel-music ! nl>
Date:       2004-10-27 16:37:40

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 08:24, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 October 2004 02:59, Michael Pyne wrote:
> > Unfortunately open source development doesn't work well that way.  If the
> > man wants to help with a distro, then there's no reason to suggest
> > something different.
>
> That's still better than starting yet another new one :-).

It's not for you to decide that. Many people have ideas, which won't mix with
the ideas of developers and maintainers of already existing distro's. For one
man to go into a circle of debates, trying to get some of his ideas in this
distro... -that- is time-consuming. Starting a new one gives the person with
new ideas almost complete freedom, to add and to don't add to his distro or
not. If beginning a new distro isn't a great idea, then you should know it
soon enough, when after 2 months after the first unstable release, only few
people have downloaded the distro.

Then again. Some of the new distro's solve problems (mostly for users new to
linux) which other distro's didn't or couldn't. *points to ubuntu and
fedora*. Add the academy I study, the release of Fedora resulted in a boost
of new linux-users. And now the same things seems to be happening with
Ubuntu.

The fact that there are 100 other distro's, doesn't mean there all used.
Esspecially not by new linux-users. The lifetime of a new linux distribution
depends on a lot more then the number of available distro's.

Beginning a new distro is a bad idea? I even think it's a good idea.

-Dennie