On Tuesday 26 October 2004 09:54, Michael Pyne wrote: > > Well in my experience new packages hit Portage soon after an upstream > release. Even when Gentoo is slacking in that department, people with > experience on Gentoo know that it is typically as simple as copying the > ebuild file and bumping the version number. Although it may take a bit of > time to compile, Gentoo users typically can get a head start on the > process, so that evens things out a little. > > But please, please, please don't exaggerate. I once tried to use Gentoo on > a laptop with 64 MB of RAM and a AMD K6-2 with hardly any cache (although > it was 550 MHz IIRC). Anyways, I didn't try compiling KDE, but compiling > and installing XFree86 "only" took about 8-10 hours on that. Although > hardly a speed record, it's not "3 days". > Just as a data point XFree86, KDE and all their dependencies take about two days to compile using FreeBSD's ports system on a Duron 1300 with 640 meg of RAM. Xorg and KDE takes almost three on a PII-350 with 256M of RAM. > > Maybe it's just me, but I just can't understand the people who complain > about having to compile software. If you managed to survive through > yesterday without foo-x.y+1, I think you'd be able to manage another hour > (or even, God forbid, a day). Yes, but it's generaly a *bad* idea to update something like KDE while it's running. I've ended up with some pretty odd stuff doing that. I now upgrade X first and then upgrade KDE and use Fvwm while KDE is installing. > If you really must have the latest and greatest *NOW*, then you'll usually > end up compiling from source anyways, which is *exactly* what you'd be > doing under Gentoo. > > Regards, > - Michael Pyne -- "We all enter this world in the same way: naked, screaming, and soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there." -- Dana Gould >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<