List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kio-locate
From:       Michael Schuerig <michael () schuerig ! de>
Date:       2004-10-26 23:18:06

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 22:15, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Dienstag 26 Oktober 2004 22:06 schrieb Christoph Wiesen:
> > Geez, I didn't know that - sorry.
> > On todays distributions - is this an uncommon setup (out of the
> > box) or do most systems already do that? If so I hope it's still
> > considered - I find it immensely usefull - but i didn't know that
> > updatedb has to run in the background to 'see' new files.
>
> SUSE doesn't install locate by default. Because many users do not
> leave their computer on over night (and mother nature praises them
> for that), the cron has to run while they wait in front of the
> computer - and the updatedb takes quite some resources. You didn't
> expect locate to be magic, do you?

Slocate improves on this through its ability to use multiple databases.
I'm using it to update indexes on different schedules, depending on how
quickly the parts of the filesystem change. This way, I'm
indexing /home daily, which works fairly quickly, and the rest is
indexed every 5 days.

For slocate see

http://www.geekreview.org/slocate/ (doesn't seem to work right now)
ftp://ftp.geekreview.org/slocate/

For an cron script see my -- not debian-specific -- bug report

Incidentally, I'm the original author of kio-locate -- and I'm very
happy that Armin Straub has adopted it.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig                       Face reality and stare it down
mailto:michael@schuerig.de        --Jethro Tull, Silver River Turning