List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Linux/BSD distribution
From:       Sylvain Colinet <scolinet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-10-26 7:29:08

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 00:15:34 -0600, N. Thompson <n.thomp@sasktel.net> wrote:
> I'm just tossing around this idea I've had for a long time, I've always wanted
> a distribution that focused all of its attention on making the best KDE
> desktop available with the latest version and all the cool enhancements. Most
> distributions today try to include both KDE and Gnome or just Gnome and as
> such KDE often gets less attention then it needs during the development
> process and winds up having more bugs left in it then the other DE. Its no
> surprise to me that a lot of distributions try to hack together their own
> enhancements to KDE and even backport the latest features without taking time
> to adequately test them and all the distributions that focus entirely on KDE
> are commercial distributions that are understaffed and don't have the knowhow
> or motivation to put together a truly great distribution.

[SNIP]
> Right now I'm being a little enthusiastic, I would love to see a completely
> KDE oriented distribution that would do a better job at putting together a
> good KDE desktop then what is currently out there, I use KDE every day and
> know that the people behind it are great developers, I also know that Linux
> and BSD both have room for improvement and thats something that I would
> consider well within the grasp of KDE developers. Gnome already essentially
> has a lot of distribution of this type that are free, Fedora comes to mind
> along with Ubuntu and a fair sized handfull of others, KDE on the other hand
> doesn't really have any KDE specialized distributions aside from the
> commercial offerings which always seem to show signs of a release date that
> was much earlier then it needed to be. I'd like to know what everyone thinks
> of this and who would be interesting in spearheading the project, it doesn't
> have to be  distribution built entirely from scratch as long as it can be
> used to meet the goals set before it, I'd take the job myself were it not for
> my lack of experience with really involved KDE tasks, and since I'm only 18
> and I'm still in school I wouldn't have time to head the project but as I
> said earlier, anyone interesting in pulling this off would have my full
> support and could consider my the first volunteer on the project.
>
> Anyone interested?

I think it's a great idea, and there is simple way to make a good distribution :
Don't reinvent the wheel, take a good distribution with a little
systeme base, good hardward autoconfigure tools and a good package
system. Provide packages for this distribution and your are done :).
In kde there is already some tools for manage Linux systeme and
package (kpackage and some option in kcontrol)
I don't know Suse, Slackware and fedora. I think Mandrake or Debian
with Knoppix's scripts can be a good choice.
I will enjoy making package for a distribution like this