List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "Missing" module for configuring Desktop Backgrounds
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulrick2 () faith4miracle ! org>
Date:       2004-10-25 1:18:24

On Sunday 24 October 2004 06:31 pm, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > new path and compile a completely fresh installation of KDE.  Please let
> > me know where the Backgrounds module is Supposed To Be.  Maybe then I can
> > figure out what I have done wrong (if anything)
>
> Well, the KDE Control Center "Background" module is where it's supposed to
> be:
>  kdebase/kcontrol/background

Hello Thiago,
Well, at least now we are moving forward.  Using the information you gave me,
I found "/usr/local/kde-cvs/share/applications/kde/background.desktop"  The
only difference that my unlearned mind could find between
"background.desktop" and the other "*.desktop" files I found at that location
was that when I clicked on it, the application that it represented did not
open up.
I then opened up
"/usr/local/kde-cvs/share/applications/kde/background.desktop" in a text
editor, and found what I assumed to be the command that this file calls:
"kcmshell background"  I then proceeded to run that command from a terminal
window, with the following result:
[steve@x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff steve]$ kcmshell background
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-steve/ksycoca
kcmshell: WARNING: Could not find module 'background'.

Here is my "/usr/local/kde-cvs/share/applications/kde/background.desktop"
file:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=kcmshell background
Icon=background
Type=Application
DocPath=kcontrol/background/index.html

X-KDE-Library=background
X-KDE-FactoryName=background
X-KDE-ParentApp=kcontrol

Name=Background

Comment=Change the background settings

Keywords=background,desktops,colors,colours,images,wallpapers,blending,balance,cache,multiple
wallpapers,pixmap

Here you will find the output from "strace kcmshell background":
http://www.faith4miracle.org/kcmshell-background.txt.bz2

Because I really want to learn, and help you out as well on the off chance
that there is something wrong with KDE from CVS HEAD that has caused this
problem for me, earlier this evening I compiled and installed totally fresh
checkouts of arts and kdelibs in a completely different path than the one I'm
having the problem in.  kdebase is compiling as I type, so I will get back to
you with whatever I find out.

Have a Great Night,
Steven P. Ulrick