List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KURL.hasSubURL()
From:       Paul Sprakes <pauls () sprakes ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-10-21 12:41:36

On Thursday 21 Oct 2004 12:45, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 October 2004 18:25, Paul Sprakes wrote:
> > I'm trying to write a KIO Filter. Unfortunately it wont work unless the
> > protocol name is hardcoded into KURL.hasSubURL().
> >
> > Is there any chance that this could be changed into maybe a regexp match
> > or a call to KProtocolInfo.protocols().find()?
> >
> > Otherwise what's the point in pluginable filters?
>
> We were actually thinking of ditching that (mostly unused) functionality,
> in KDE 4....

Maybe it's unused because the only things that can use it are zip, gzip etc
which are hardcoded?

However I hope some thought can be given to filtering/chaining of kio slaves
for KDE 4.

>What do you want to use it for?

yenc based decoding of nntp streams. e.g:

amarok "nntp://my.news.server/a.newsgroup/an_mp3_file#yencode:/decompress"

It's a bit more complex than that (e.g multiparts) but you get the idea. The
point is that amarok or whatever else shouldn't be aware of what is
happening.

> Would it not be better to write a KFilterBase-derived filter (if the API
> suits your filter...)? See KFilterDev (in-process
> compression/decompression).

It already is KFilterBase derived. kurl.hasSubUrl() will stop it running if
its KFilterBase derived or a plain old kio slave.

Is there anyplace where I can read up on what is being discussed with regards
to KIO and version 4? I haven't noticed anything on these lists.

Cheers, Paul.